View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #110
ArchPrime

Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
ArchPrime is on a distinguished road
Re: Do MUDs need to be "brought into the 21st century"

Plamzi:

MUDs have already *evolved* into something modernized: Graphical MMO games. Putting a graphical UI on top of a MUD has already been done in various ways. Does Everquest ring a bell? Runescape supposedly started out as a MUD, but evolved into something highly graphical. I don't know about (or really care about) the underlying implementation; what I care about is the fact that neither EQ nor Runescape were marketed as MUDs. Nor have they survived in the minds of the players as MUDs; they are, to gamers at large, graphical MMO games.

Go surf the net, and see what the general population posts when someone says something like "Hey guys, have you ever played a MUD?". You will see responses like -- "Oh, you mean those multi user text games? Yeah, I used to play them back in college...". They never say something like, "Yeah! I used to play Runescape/Everquest/WoW". I think it is safe to say that history has already written upon the general player conscience what constitutes a "MUD" - good luck changing that.

No one is holding you back from doing whatever you want. It's interesting to note that Graphical MMO games, in whatever form they are, have been attributed to the decline of people playing MUDs. So, the very path of evolution you suggest is the same path commonly cited for the decline of that you wish to save... ironic, yes? ;-)
ArchPrime is offline   Reply With Quote