View Single Post
Old 05-06-2004, 03:26 AM   #8
Zaroth

Zaroth is on a distinguished road
I agree with everything that has been mentioned to this point...unless you only learn one way efficiently, that being hands on.  Most coders I know of are analytical, and over-analyse things to death which poses a bit of a problem when they take a simple function, and add 10x too many lines, then optimize it in assembly or something of the sort.  

As was mentioned above, I would recommend a download of the e-book, TICPP ver.2 - nice start to C++,  - if you get lost, you can bookmark sections in the .pdf for easy searching and recovery of the information you want without having to page/scroll/click 200 times. I learned to code by opening up the files, one by one and examining how they are pieced together, it gives a basic structure to work with.  Another thing that I didn't see mentioned in this, especially for old and newbie coders alike.. the use of GDB - it's a debugger that'll allow you to monitor changes as the code is running so you can see what's going goofy where, and help pinpoint the issue - most look at the code they added and say "it crashed, but where and why?" where with , you can force commands into it, and it'll give detailed output of anything you tell it to give you - quite the handy tool when you're paging through 500 lines of newly added stuff, and it compiles without a single warning whatsoever but still dumps.  My suggestion is to start with a compiler on your computer, and tinker with the basics there while going through the TICPP book - the book is free to d/l, and if you're running windows I would recommend , falls under GPL(free == good), has all the goodies, and always new packages to add for further functionality - it handles C and C++ quite nicely.  It also runs on any Windows OS, 95-XP, so if you are diehard Windows 95 due to stability reasons, it'll still work without any issues.  I really cannot thing of anything else to throw into it at this time, and I hope this bit of information helps some.

Zaroth-
Zaroth is offline   Reply With Quote