View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #16
Sasca

Sasca is on a distinguished road
Re: Troublesome Aspects

I guess firstly I'd say that if someone doesn't log in for a week, that's normal. A month? That's excusable (maybe a family thing came up, or sudden loss of house/job or something similar), but three months is an indication that the player isn't really interested anymore. I know that some people 'check in every few months', but that seems to me to be rather pointless- if you're not active in a MUD, then why play it? Please note that I say 'MUD' because I have never played a MUSH or something else- but I think the point remains the same. Text games are quite reliant on an active playerbase, and someone who doesn't play for your game for three months seems to be 'out of the game'. Delete the character, in short. If there's an argument for keeping characters/players on your database after three months of idle time, I'd like to hear it.

You can't, obviously, *make* people play your game. But if they're heavily involved in a plot or intrigue, then chances are that they're interested enough to keep playing. People get irritated, ticked off, angry at the other players, et cetera, but if they have any kind of responsibility in the game (guild/faction/faith leader or some-such) then chances are that they've RPed or worked hard to gain that position. Sure, they might get so ****ed off that they leave for a week just to cool their heads and rethink things, but they shouldn't expect to just stroll back in with no consequences. And I'm talking about a week, never a month or more...

I guess it really depends on what sort of game you're running. Personally, if I ran a MUD, people who left for a month with no explanation would be deleted. That might sound harsh, but the reality is that MUDs and such rely on active, interested participants. If someone leaves for a month with no notice, no matter how 'important' their character is, they should be wiped. You simply don't need that kind of luggage.

Hmm. I may have lost the point and been on a rant. My point is this- Idle players hurt a game, and absent players (who still hold important positions) kill a game. I honestly feel that it's about keeping a game fresh and interesting to new blood, and idle and absent characters do nothing to help the cause.
Sasca is offline   Reply With Quote