Thread: GUI snippet
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: GUI snippet

Great post, KaVir, and thanks for sharing. Enhancing the player experience is my #1 priority and I'll be looking to use your snippet as a building block--one thing my server is missing is support for advanced desktop clients.

Just wanted to add a few more resources to the mix. If you're someone who is comfortable with HTML + JavaScript + PHP and who wants to extend the reach of your MUD to Facebook, or the web in general, with a custom web client for your game, take a look at these links:

(no login required, use IE9 or non-IE browser)

The app has the embedded automapper + a minimap, and the page code contains reusable functions for handling controls, etc. Feel free to rip the JS / HTML code from the Facebook app page as needed. Just plug your own art.

My FB app targets the non-mudder who wants to discover a new and more challenging game. While it doesn't have too many power user features, it supports such "pretty" stuff as player avatars with changing states, transparent overlay map, etc.

In my case, the server drives the app and minimap without using standard protocols, but you can easily change that. If you decide to give it a shot and need code snippets showing how the server feeds the app in my implementation, let me know.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote