View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 02:40 AM   #6
huxley

huxley is on a distinguished road
Sigh. I coded lots during my time there. Most likely the top producing wiz, next to an admin who has retired. I did code that was part of the lib and I did areas and guilds. I never had any intention of having them remove the lib code, they know this. The lib code and chatlines I did was to stay behind. Same as some of my areas. What I wanted to remove is those of my areas that people changed without asking me. No bug fixing, just changing values. Without notification, without a word. Same with the guild. The guild would have been no loss. Only one person logs on to it, now and then to keep the char. It has been like that in the guild for a year because its too different from the rest. But... As soon as I stop hanging around as much, they start changing my code to make it look like they would like it to look. Maybe i am unique, but that upsets me.

Lastly... All other muds I have been on (two) have copyright notices saying that everything in the wiz dir and your eventual guild dir belongs to you. I kinda assumedit was the same in this one, but perhaps that is a swedish phenomenon (it was swedish muds)?

I still think it sucks. I will never again code for a mud and be abused in that way. Sure they provided me with a server, but they did not provide a functional (kinda functional at best) codebase, nor much help. What did I provide for them? Lots of time helping players when admin code bugged out. I coded 2.5 guilds, of which only one got in game cause of admin procrastination. I provided (rooms total from all areas) some 1500 rooms of aeras - from newbie to highbie. Questsystem as well as quests. Not to mention ****loads of ideas that helped forming their mud. So I am not out of line asking them to remove the guild and the areas I wanted closed.

But I guess this is it. After a nights sleep... I am over it, sort of. Just know that this was not some impulsive idea I got. After one of the admins retired, it all went downhill. Other admins treat you differently depending on who you are. I saw it with others, so it was just a matter of time before it happend to me.

So what is the lesson I learned? Never code for someone you do not know in person. A lot of spare time have beeb put in, a lot of free work have been done for them. While one is on good terms with the admins, they are nice guys and everything is dandy. But they do what they like and if you are not on their wavelength, they run you over. Conclusion: Coding is cyberslavery. Never again will I fall in this trap. My mudding days are over. Maybe just as well, not much time for it anymore.
huxley is offline   Reply With Quote