Thread: Hi, hey, hello
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #21
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: Hi, hey, hello

That the game logic of most MMORPG's is near-identical to some MUDs is not an assumption but an observation, one that is kind of obvious to anyone who has played a hack'n'slash MUD and then NWN, Diablo 2, 3 etc. That MMORPG's are historically and technically the same thing as "graphical MUDs" doesn't need proving so much as some basic research on your part.

As a matter of fact, I have been testing the truth of this for four years now. I have a pretty typical DikuMUD driving a mobile MMO UI that is quite indistinguishable from any other mobile MMO (except it's better ). Based on my experience, I have no trouble believing that a server like KaViR's, which has a co-ordinate based world, would be able to drive a 2D or 3D client with no or very little change in the game logic.

You are right that just because two games use a database doesn't mean they are at all similar. However, that supports my argument and not yours Now, picture two games that both have character properties and advancement, items granting character boosts, mobiles granting items, etc. Because their game logic is similar, chances are that their db schemas will also have structural similarities. And so will their server code, which handles the state changes in these entities. It doesn't matter whether one is written in C++ and the other in Patagonian, that one uses MySQL and the other some proprietary RDB especially designed to make this kind of storage easier.

Last edited by plamzi : 10-07-2013 at 06:28 PM.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote