View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: A player's perspective

None of that really matters for the sake of interesting new players in text MUDs though. Asking prospective new text MUD players to download a third-party application is a no-go from a marketing angle. You need a really big 'carrot' to overcome the resistance people have to installing software and part of the marketing problem with text MUDs is that we lack a way to really effectively communicate what the 'carrot' is (depth, roleplay, etc).

I'm not sure how to respond to that. We pay experts to do all sorts of things, from art to engineering/coding to world building to facilitating roleplay to website creation to dealing with taxes, legal issues, and so on. I realize hobbyists are not in a position to do the same though and that it seems to be a lot harder to get volunteer help on the art side than it does on the building or coding side of things.

Our newbie intros are only changed every few years so that's not much of an issue (recall that I was proposing we might layer in illustrations only for the newbie intro).

Hundreds of megs? Gigs? God no. For the purposes of attracting and keeping more true text MUD newbies there can be no extended download, which hundreds of megs or gigs would certainly require.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote