View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #86
DurNominator

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
DurNominator is on a distinguished road
Re: Reaching out beyond text MUDs

Speaking of deterrents for entry, this one is a pretty big one. Why should your game be entitled to get my personal information? Just because I want to try playing it? How do I know that this isn't some hoax? Personally, I think that this is a big turnoff for your players as I personally would never give your game my personal information in that situation and found Imperian's prying for such information somewhat offensive. If a false information wouldn't work (it did though, when I tried Imperian), I would play something else instead. When combined with IRE pay for advanced acceleration business model, which is explained by this stage, the registration gives a very good point to turn away from the game and go do something else. With the registration, you force people to take a risk and trust you, with no good reason given why they should. I claim that a lot of people will choose not to trust you because of the information prying and go away.

Seriously Matt, asking for people's personal information in order to play a MUD is losing you a lot of customers. Runescape doesn't need to know my name to let me play, why does IRE need such information? You are losing a substancial amount of new players due to this (or so I claim), so I'm interested in knowing why the information gathering is so important that you choose to make a sacrifice of this magnitude. I suggest that you test it by removing the registration and rl questions and have some sort creation of game account instead that doesn't ask any extra questions (meaning the personal ones, character creation questions necessary for playing the game are not counted as extra questions) beyond the required account name, password and character name (if different from account name) and see how much does this affect the % of new players who will create an account after logging in and not turn away before this stage. I claim that your % of new accounts will double after the personal questions are removed as people won't feel that your game keeps a some kind of register that contains their personal information.
DurNominator is offline   Reply With Quote