View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #29
shasarak

shasarak is on a distinguished road
Re: Triggers, scripts, and bots

I certainly have no argument with that statement.

Hmmm. That's an interesting new take on the question: 'botting makes the game less enjoyable for the 'botter.

You yourself were saying earlier that 'botters don't 'bot all the time - they 'bot in between fully-connected sessions. That would suggest that, if a player does feel obliged to 'bot, having an enjoyable time when they are connected would not be adversely affected by the fact that they've been 'botting when they weren't.

Could you give me some practical examples of how a player 'botting harms his own enjoyment of the game?

I'm still hoping for some examples of how. It's easy enough to see that trying to progress at the same rate as a 'botter would be difficult if you don't 'bot yourself, what I don't see is why that's a problem.

It shouldn't damage your ego to know that other people are progressing faster than you are if you know that the reason why they are is because they've chosen the "soft option" to do it. (If someone can run 100 metres in less time than it takes me to run 200 metres, this not something which distresses me).

I can see that, if you're in a heavily PvP environment, it would be tiresome being outperformed by characters who have reached a high level sooner than you have; but I fail to see why this would be any more annoying than being outperformed by someone who is higher level than you for a different reason (e.g. because he's been playing the MUD longer than you have). If this is a problem, the solution is not to crack down on 'botting, but to crack down on high-level players beating up on low-level players, regardless of how the level-differential happened.

So I'm still waiting for examples of ways in which 'botting can have a tangible negative impact on non-'botters and where it is impossible or unlikely for the same negative impact to happen when 'botting isn't involved.
shasarak is offline   Reply With Quote