View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 02:17 PM   #26
Jeena

Jeena is on a distinguished road
Maybe I've missed it commented on earlier in the topic, however it seems to me the issues are stereotypical female characters, i.e., femme fatale, fainting flower, blushing beauty, man hating swordswoman, etc....

In the few roleplaying games I've taken an active part in, I found it disconcerting to find myself competing for rp time with other players (particularly males) when ravishing sexpots were roaming the land. On one game, it was like 75 percent of the women were possessed by drama-loving succubi while the other 25 percent were angry and resentful.
To make matters worse, very few of the males were put off by the behavior. All guys find the drama entertaining in rl? I doubt it.

I think at issue is this, in a "real world" scenerio, 75 percent of the women are not beautiful manipulative women, or helpless, or
drama queens.

The biggest problem with playing a "stereotype" in an rp mud is the lack of desire to give those characters flaws, issues, and real deep personalities. The very definition of a stereotype defies depth.

This isn't just a problem that female players face, but male players as well. I've seen white knights AND evil sorcerers who all imagined themselves to be darkly handsome and completely irresistable to women. Too many "perfect" characters and rp loses interest, depth, and story.

This isn't an argument saying there shouldn't be sexy women on rp games, women who stay home and raise children, or women who don't want to do anything but tend the gardens. At the same time this isn't an argument saying that all women in the game should be ravishing drama queens.
What it is saying is... flaws, not perfection, make the characters. RP is boring as #### when 75 percent of the game is playing the same type of character just with a different name. This is the number one reason I don't RP anymore on MuDs. Whereas at least on mushes, where characters are approved, you have a greater chance of meeting characters with depth, flaw, history, and personality.

Jeena
Jeena is offline   Reply With Quote