View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #16
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
Yes, it specifically says you must give credit on the log in screen, and help a HELP CREDITS file listing their names.

Did you write a new codebase, or modify the current one? If you started from nothing, and made a codebase then you are fine. If you, as Med has, started with Diku and over the years modified it... you are still a derivative.

Depends on the situation, with Diku the license tells you what you need to do.

Is this a new code base, or did you modify theirs? If it is a modification, it works the same as a book does... you give credit where credit is due.

What is there to document? DELETE, open notepad, start typing and you're not a derivative.

Take Persistent Realms for example, I used to work for IRE before I took my current position. I would never violate my agreements(NDA) with IRE and copy their code. As I've told Matt, if at any time he wishes to view my code to verify this statement is true, all he needs to do is ask. Is that unfair? Nope, it's called being honest.

As I said above, sure would be. I have no problem allowing someone, who has a valid reason, to view my code. The only people that would have a valid reason, in my case, would be Matt or Chris(CTO of IRE), and both are welcome to view it at any time. If you're honest, and have nothing to hide, why would you be afraid to prove your honesty?