View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #27
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

This is the unfortunate reality. I remember about 13 years ago when ICQ first became popular I said this would be a huge negative for roleplaying in MUDs. A few players argued vehemently against me, saying it was no different than people being able to pick up the telephone and call each other. Wow, how wrong they were.

Once you acknowledge and accept the fact that real time OOC communication is inevitable and unavoidable, it is better to support it INSIDE the game rather than force them to go outside. At least if they use it inside the game they might feel at least SOME motivation to keep it reasonable. Once you've sent them off to fend for themselves via IRC or IM, there is nothing to motivate them to keep it to a minimum or only to important OOC stuff. Then they start using it to outright determine the course of IC events.

Furthermore, having OOC chat channels really helps build community in the long run. It gives people a way to make friends with their fellow gamers even if their characters are enemies in game.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote