View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #53
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: RPI, RPE, and Roleplay

Threshold not intense? What becuase you cant type 'think'.. surely that is something best catered to in the mind of the players themselves.. not RPI because it does not want to lose players with permadeath? Realistic world design.. the only liberty I saw with that was the south road.. the last location of which (after maybe 20 SOUTH commands which is about 5 mins of game time) was you are X00's of KM south of Sable... apart from that it is one of the most explorable and sensible worlds I have played in (in a list over over 20 muds)

When I played threshold, I lived, breathed my character. I didnt see black and white text.. I saw colours, heard the sounds, smelt the air, felt the ground and the trees all helped by every single sense being catered to in every single location and on a random scale so you didnt get the same description every time, and also had one of the easiest to use emote / preemote systems yet.

This is not a defense of Threshold, but a counter to your utterly biased opinion against it. Not a single game out there, not even Armaggedon has managed to suck me in as much, and the main reason I dont play it anymore as it was far 'too' intense and ingame events could affect my real life mood.

Players staying in charcter is one of the single biggest contribution factors to something being intense, not one or two commands difference or a difference in game mechanics.

I suppose what we need to do really is redefine the scale / method of categorisation to something every one can accept. I dont think it would be such a far stretch for a collaboration between all the big sites to define such a scale, if the oneupmanship / bickering / personal attacks can be put to oneside for a short time.

Maybe the RPI tag needs casting into the bin as not a single person can agree on what it means anymore, and 'Intense Features' being brought in as an 'umberella' category which can define a game as intense. For example I think we can agree on the defnition of a Role Playing game.. agreed?

However if a game ticks any of the following boxes, it can be defined as 'Intense'.

1) Does game have permadeath
2) Does the game force players to be IC at all times when in the game arena
3) Are 'secret, non-game affecting, player specific commands encouraged' such as feel or think

Or maybe a weighted scale where points are totalled up and measure against a table of 0 - 100

Permadeath + 15
Non-permadeath - 5
Incharacter enforced + 10
No OOC disucssion within game arena + 5
Unrealistic Communications between characters (such as whisper, guild channels) with no logical 'transport device' - 5
Eqipment saved on characters person after death -5
Think and Feel allowed + 10
OOC Actions and speech allowed -20
Realistic weather patterns and temperate zones + 5
Full 'sensory' descriptions allowed + 5
Level-less system + 10
Real time combat with constant user interaction + 1
PvP allowed at all times + 5
Stats based mechanics -5

All games start at 50 on the scale.. with 0 being 'Just a game, talk about baseball if yout want' and 100 being 'Forget real life, this game will take over it' and anything about 80 being defined as Role Playing Intense?
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote