View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 05:25 AM   #18
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Why does fantasy have to be medieval?

Well the world is based on Hindu-Buddhist mythology, but there is very strong western influence, particularly among the main characters. And the technological aspect was in fact that very reason I cited it as an example of science fantasy.

Correct, but then I never said otherwise. I explicitly gave it as an example of science fantasy, due to its blend of science fiction and fantasy elements.

...would be just as incorrect as arguing that "Star Wars is science fiction". As I pointed out earlier, Star Wars contains classic fantasy elements in addition to the more obvious science fiction elements, and is therefore a good example of science fantasy.

...would still be an overgeneralisation, which is why I stated earlier that "Any game which includes magical or supernatural elements might be classified as fantasy". The point is that there is considerable crossover between the genres.

Also note my emphasis on the word "horror" in the above quoted text. Horror fiction is another genre entirely, although it often overlaps with science fiction and fantasy (eg "dark fantasy"), and the three categories are sometimes grouped together under the classification of "speculative fiction".

I suspect it's the other way around - that the limited originality of many medieval fantasy muds is due to that genre being so common. I would speculate that the reason for such games being so common is due to medieval fantasy being more popular than other genres of game.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote