Thread: Need a new home
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 06:07 PM   #10
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Rats dropping random items is, at best, unbelievable.

Roleplay-enforced fantasy needs to be believable, otherwise the roleplay falls flat on its face. This doesn't mean it has to be realistic. Plenty of fantasy is UNrealistic and still manages to suck you into the believability of the story. Good fantasy will always be un-realistic, and still completely believable. That's what RP-enforced fantasy text games are all about.

For a rat, which is a 4-footed rodent lacking opposable thumbs, to be -carrying- let along -dropping- a pair of human-sized boots, I would have to say that crosses WAY over the line of both fantasy -and- believability.

I can't fathom how to possibly RP acknowledging that a creature the size of my foot is carrying two items (two boots makes a pair) the size of my foot, ankle, and probably calf as well.

It isn't an ant, or it -might- be believable, since ants can drag around things dozens of times heavier than they are. It's a freakin rat. Rats don't clutch boots in their hands and walk around on their hind legs biting people til they die, and then drop the boots. They just don't. Not in reality, not in fantasy, not in believability. In cartoons, sure. But you claim to have a RP-enforced fantasy game, not a cartoon. If you want your game to be played by people interested in believing your game's world and genre, you gotta get rid of the toons.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote