Thread: Starting Muds
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2006, 06:15 AM   #6
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
My reply is mostly to agree with/reiterate what Baram said.

Back in 2000 I decided I wanted to program my own Mud codebase - back then I wanted to do it as a learning tool, to become a better programmer.  As the next few years passed, I wanted to turn it into a business.  Since at the time I already owned 2 businesses, 1 successful, 1 not - I figured it was the next logical step.

So I officially started in early 2003 - by myself.  And since that time, I have found that it's very difficult to find people who share enough of your vision AND dedication to get the job done in a meaningful timeframe.  It's been my experience that most of the people who are in this "industry" (that being text-style MMOs) approach it with a hobbyist mentality.  No real rush, no real need for professionalism - it's a game afterall.  Which there is nothing inately wrong with and which might be good for a hobby-style Mud, but not for something that is supposed to make money.

If you decide to take the leap, a few suggestions:
- Don't worry about how to start a business now.  There are plenty of people/books that explain it.  And if you find a good attorney (and accountant) ... they should be able to explain almost everything you need.  Instead plung into all the other decisions about the what, where, how, and who of your goals.
- Don't create the business too early, unless you are paying other people, since filing reports for your company with the government can get to be pain (if you do it yourself), or costly (if you have someone do it for you).  You can create/buy/find good "contractor" style work agreements for people who are working with you that will still apply even if you are not an actual company, so you don't need to worry about that.  And if you choose, you can still use a partnership agreement without being a company - just check with an attorney for some details.
- Get a good team around you.  Maybe start small, but bring in enough people to get the project done!  More minds attacking a problem usually brings about a better solution (up to a point).  IE: two heads are better than one!  Plus when there are multiple people on the project - it helps with motivation and accountability to the progress of the project.  Just make sure each person that joins the team has the same vision and dedication.  And I suggest to make sure each person brings something new to the table.

If you find out how to get good quality people on board without offering money up front - let me know!!  I would LOOOOVE to get some help ... but I just can't seem to find it.

As for the money (how much you will need and where to get funding) - that largely depends, like Baram said, on if you choose to write your own code or purchase one.  And if you choose to quit your day job right away or wait some.

Good Luck!  And keep us posted with your progress - I know I always love to hear about people who want to make something in the business side of text MMOs!
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote