View Single Post
Old 09-06-2002, 05:10 PM   #8
Sapphar

I actually try to be fairly careful with letting the first characters my character starts up rp with become the major influences in her development. Often, those folks who are newbie magnets are not always the best representation of rp stories. Not to be blunt, but characters who fail to fit into the world due to their players difficulties are often the first ones to catch a hold of a newbie character in hopes that it is a newbie player they can win over as their buddy. IC, not having those first few folks be the biggest influence is usually fairly justifiable. Depending on your characters goals, a random person who is friendly and helps out, or who is chatty, may mean pretty little in the long run.

Now, folks who you meet early on who are rude, harsh, snide, controlling, or enslave you are an entirely different matter.

Most rp societies have heiarchies set up. It seems to work pretty well for me to have my characters learn from and be heavily influenced by those who are higher ranked in the specific occupations/guilds/noblility, etc, that the character, based on her background, would have the most respect for.

Everything said above is specific to non-traumatic rp influences. Obviously more serious events happen in most rp games and those have to leave some sort of imprint.