View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 05:01 AM   #13
nasredin

Name: Boris
Home MUD: ArcticMUD (mud.arctic.org 2700)
nasredin is on a distinguished road
Re: The mud client poll

Back in 1997, when I started my mudding career, I was using a UNIX station and thus tintin was a natural choice. As an added bonus, a lot of my friends also used tintin, so we could exchange triggers and other useful things.

When I had to switch to M$ Window$, I certainly wanted to keep using my tintin configuration files, so my next natual choice was JMC. At the moment (in ~1999-2000), it was one of the most advanced clients, with lots of powerful features, including active scripting.

There was more to it than just that. The author of JMC, Sergey Il'in is my real life friend; in fact, he was the person who introduced me to mudding and . In real life, he is a team leader in a software company and a guru programmer. Thus, when he said "all MUD clients suck, I had to write one of my own", I didn't question his opinion.

BTW, JMC stands for Jaba MUD Client, not java MUD client, as many erroneously think. 'Jaba' means 'a toad' in Russian and it was the name of Sergey's most famous character in .

JMC is no longer developed by the original author, but it's freeware and open source, anyone may edit the code and add new features to it. I'm still using the latest version by the original author, though:

Last edited by nasredin : 10-24-2008 at 05:19 AM.
nasredin is offline   Reply With Quote