View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 12:05 PM   #151
Spoke

Spoke is on a distinguished road
Angry

It is always amusing to read any reply from Molly to the_logos and most of the times the ones going in the other direction. Really, eventhough the self-glorification of logos in many of the posts he write may get a little tiring, he usually states his point clearly and very often gives some kind of feedback about what is being written. On the other hand, the incandecent flame wars started not with a post of the_logos, but people making a whole drama because he was adverticing and helping some kind of non-profit organization in the process. Then, when the thread was being gotten back to its original purpose by Molly, at least partially, I saw a few good-intended and full-of-feedback and support posts by the_logos () . Now, in his post of () the_logos states his opinion, from his point of view, and in not a single word of his post a personal attack is issued. On the other hand, flame-starter-Molly promptly makes everything that follows to become Tokyo-while-Godzilla-is-paying-a-visit ().

Now, after the brief summary, I think a point must be highlighted. Molly, eventhough you keep claiming that there is a difference between the two attitudes followed by the two muds in discussion, yours and Medievia, you clearlly say also that this sends the message that eventhough you see what you do as something wrong, you do not think it is very wrong, at which point you are making your personal opinion to prevalece over the intent of the copyright. Even if there are lesser and more serious ways to break a license (steal, strip credits and put own, make money out of someone else's work, ...) it does not mean that doing the lesser thing (putting the area up for the fun of the fans) is any better. Therefore, if someone calls you hypocrite for condemning the first but promoting the second, they are at least close enough in their appreciation.

Now, as for the intention of the Mud promotion. The idea of putting stories together sounds very good, I saw Angie linking it to an art board discussion for MUDs which would make a very good mix, since as Hephos pointed out, good graphic material would be needed. The whole idea seems like a nice effort, but I would still pay attention to the advice of trying to monitor wether or not it yields the desired adverticement effect. The good part about this idea, I think, is that you are trying to build it in such a way that all material used is being given by people willing to help and who have no problems with that, so, even if the results are not the ones expected (on a free internet site for example), you could probably easily take a further step and try to publish some kind of periodical issue, or a single issue with the best of what you recollect, and try an approach as the one described by Brody and the novel he wrote.
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote