View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #69
John

John is on a distinguished road
Your ignoring my point. My point wasn't "ignore the intent" it was "yes, they're doing this for advertising. But really, it isn't that bad." Maybe in your world perving on teenagers and getting publicity are comparable acts, but in mine they're worlds apart.

An example of someone emotionally invested in a charity not giving a rats toss is in the television show, The Apprentice. In it two groups have to do tasks, one task was to sell a product. One team said "why don't we give to a charity. People are much more willing to buy our product that way.." I believe the person who suggested it was someone who had lost his brother to lukemia. He definitely suggested donating to a lukemia fund. My family's reaction to that was "hey, that's a good idea" and then when they DID donate a good amount as opposed to $100 we were like "hey, aren't these guys great?"

We knew they were doing it to win the task, we accepted that from the get go. And we saw nothing wrong with that. No-one in the show saw anything wrong with it (that they said anyway). If someone who had lost their brother to lukemia didn't mind donating the money to a lukemia charity, I don't think it's a terrible at all.

Businesses donating to charities I believe do so for the benefits most of the time. I don't see anything morally wrong with it, and I'm amazed that some people do.

Then again, I can't help but wonder. What would the reaction had been to this had the_logos not been connected. Call me cynical, but I doubt it would have been like this.
John is offline   Reply With Quote