View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #58
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: The "Health," of Muds

I hope this won't start a flame war, but what community?

There really hasn't been a MUD community (at least not in a positive sense) for many, many years. Most efforts to do anything for the shared benefit of MUDs as a whole have died in the crib.

The sad truth about our "community" is that many (most?) of its members would rather smash their nuts with a hammer than see someone else's MUD succeed.

Its like a pot of lobsters in a cookpot. If one starts to climb its way out, the others will grab it and drag it down. Not for their own benefit, but just to make sure the other guy isn't doing better than they are.

I could go into specifics, but I think most of the people reading this thread remember countless examples of incidents, flame wars, and controversies from the last 10 years that demonstrate this unfortunate fact. To be honest, I'm not sure if the "MUD community" ever had a true sense of community or a belief in doing things to grow our overall market.

Before we can do anything together as a community we would need to actually forge a viable community. Right now we are like a bitter, hateful married couple that needs massive couples therapy before we even THINK of having kids.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote