View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 02:59 AM   #15
TheTrollCop

TheTrollCop is on a distinguished road
The key to implementing realistic elements, or really any elements for game play, is to do so in a way that provides the gamer with an inherent benefit.  If you implement an indepth crafting system, you need to give the crafted items worth so that the system gets used and is enjoyed.

One of the main elements of gameplay that are common discussion in muds is Permadeath, because of the nature of MUDs. Being multi-player environments usually with indepth Roleplay considerations I think your best route is to go with a Netherworld set up. Players die and go to the netherworld, they have a chance of being rezzed based upon Spell X, and Action Z.

Perhaps they can also do some semi-automated quests to return to the land of the living, either as a ghost, or as a living being, provided a body is readied for them. Perhaps being dead, they can communicating with those they bonded with via commands in the game. So they can help their relatives with advice from the grave, or some other facet which would add to the roleplay environment.  

Adding in a permadeath system, or like I said, really any system is pointless unless you try to consider the inherent benefits it gives to the player, and to the player environment. If people wanted Realism, they would pick up a butcher knife and go hack at strays. They want a consistent world that gives them inherent benefits for the choices and options they take.

I hope this helps give you a few ideas.

TheTrollCop
TheTrollCop is offline   Reply With Quote