View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #19
Manitas

Manitas is on a distinguished road
Thats exactly what i been trying to mean. Looks like i failed - happens when i try to write in a foreign language.
The purpose of this is i want to add something that players really need ingame - in current implementations you dont need to gain xp at any given moment - you can do that later anytime. You dont really need money and stuff - you can choose to spend all your gamelife just standing in one room and chatting with bypassers or doing nothing. My opinion is that people do things because they need something, see even Diogenes needed a barrel to provide shelter. One of the things i want to achieve is a motive for players to do things,something to keep things spinning.
Even the cheapest food possible will have the annoying tendency to scram as soon as it realizes your presence - so the hunters will be most involved in food production process. I dont even think ill make cooking into a skill, but there will definitely be reasons to process the food:
catch a fish - youll be able to eat it the day after if you are lucky
hunt a deer - you can smoke or cook the meat an then eat it even a week later if you're not too choosy.
salt and dry the meat - and its not gonna rot away for a long time.
Well if thats true that it is annoying to go obtain or buy some food every few realtime days i should immediately stop what im working on now. But i still hope its not the case. I just can't imagine working economy without real upkeep cost. Maybe im just not imaginative enough, but who's perfect anyway. But i'm almost sure that systems where things come from nowhere (like coins from mob corpses, or free energy to live) will cause problems at some points. Take combat deadlock from the other topic. In the world where fighting uses some form of energy deadlock will never occur, cause at least one of the combatants will eventually get too tired to continue, even if both are dumb enough to not to realize the fight is pointless.
Im not comfortable with that idea, or maybe would the ability to develop further fall in the category 'something useful'?

Last thing about the 'childish' and 'grown up' from my previous post - i was trying to show my distance towards such a stereotypes. I should have enclosed the terms in qotation marks. I failed again, sorry if anybody felt offended, hope to be forgiven.
Manitas is offline   Reply With Quote