View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 04:44 AM   #18
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I think you'll find the attitude tends to be more scorn and pity rather than hate.  Regardless of how often Soleil plugs her mud, the sad fact is that the one thing Medievia is best known for - and will most likely always be best known for - is ripping the credits and copyright notices out of a Diku derivative and claiming it as their own work.

A very new mud is likely to be a risky prospect regardless of whether it's commercial or hobbyist (the former may well die due to financial concerns, the latter out of lack of interest) - but the longer a mud operates, the more likely it is to keep going.

However you could also argue that a commercial mud will only going keep running as long as it continues to make money - while the longer hobbyist mud operates, the more love and sweat will have been poured into it, and thus the less likely it is to simply shut down.

And to answer the original question:

My mud contains numerous innovative features, but I'd say the thing that really sets it apart is the combat system - the result of almost five years work, it's completely unlike anything else out there (although by requiring significant player skill to master, it tends to only appeal to a minority).
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote