View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 03:06 AM   #47
xotl

xotl is on a distinguished road
From reading these posts there seems to some holes in understanding.

I do admire them for their financial success and large playerbases, but the_logos (Matt) and the people from medevia appear to not understand that code theft is bad. I have seen attempts to educate them fail. I have seen very reasonable and forgiving suggestions that medevia just purchase a license for valhalla, keeping in totality their current codebase.

I don't have the time to do this myself, but I suggest that someone educates them. First I would suggest asking them for their code to set up your own system without having to pay them any royalties, for if taking another's code is not bad, they should gladly offer up their own. If they do offer up their code, then hey, they're ok with me. They aren't doing anything to anyone else that they wouldn't be willing to have happen to themselves. If this fails, however, join one of their muds as a developer, gain priviledges, then steal their code and set up a new system and make cash off of it, making the minimum amount of modifications needed, while giving them no credit. If this happens, and they have any complaints, there should be someone that overtly supports the theft and champions it. I think that this should cover any holes in understanding.

I suspect they just don't have any reality on what it would be like for this kind of thing to happen to them is all, and not that they are bad people. I have been in a situation where the code to a mud I owned was stolen, and it wasn't pleasant.

As for Kavir, you appear to have a fine sense of ethics and the fortitude to stand up for what you think is right despite significant opposition. But this is occasionally ruined by your inability to refrain from making pointless personal attacks on someone's character. Here is a web site with the majority of the logical fallacies:
I would hope that you could see that "Attacking the Person" actually makes you look bad, and look wrong, no matter how right you may be.

Anyhow, I hope this helps all involved. Unless you guys are really enjoying the fighting, in which case, fight on!

Xotl
xotl is offline   Reply With Quote