View Single Post
Old 03-01-2003, 11:31 AM   #2
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
One part of our 4-faceted Mud, the Pre Historic Dimension, is set in the Mediterranean area around 2000 BC. It's heavily based on Greek and Egyptic history and mythology, and the topology and ecology are pretty accurate - for a mud.

Climate, plants, wildlife etc, is what you'd expect to find in the Mediterranean countries during that period - which is before all the large forests were cut down. Food and drink too are true to location. I just love eating a moussake, some marinated shrimp or fried squid to my glass of Ouzo or Retsina, instead of the traditional pot pies.

And the islands and mainland are inhabited by an assortment of realistic natives; peasant, fishers and shepherds as well as heroes from the old tales and mythical creatures, like centaurs, fauns, sphinxes and all the other paraphernalia in the myths. Naturally the Greek Gods walk the earth too, and behave just as irresponsibly, erratic, arrogant and capricious as in the old myths.

Travelling is mostly done by boat or ship, and currently I am adding a 1800 rooms big sea grid, that corresponds generally with the real Mediterranean map, to connect all the already existing 'real' zones.

We also have a pretty large desert in Upper Egypt, where the sun will damage you at daytime, unless you stay in the (very rare) shade, and where different animals inhabit the desert at daytime and nighttime.

I am not sure to what extent all this adds to the gameplay. But it sure as heck adds to my own pleasure of creating a feasible world, and is also a lot more original than the stuff you find in most muds.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote