View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Yet another looking for a mud request

This exact post appears about once a month, and I've never had a good answer for it. They usually begin by saying, without saying it: "I tried New Worlds (or a couple of the other muds like it), which is generally a pretty awesome mud, except for the fact that you have to spend a week auditioning for your character class and fit a certain mold to get it (that's what people really mean when they say they want a mud without or less reliant on "guilds"; they're just trying not to name the mud they tried), the fact that its crafting system is supremely limited, and the fact that figuring out some of the in game quests is more of a nightmarish matter of syntax and figuring out what to type than intelligently figuring out what to do." After the fourth or fifth post like that, one wonders whether the New Worlds people might consider making their quests/tasks more user-friendly to figure out, and adding more robust crafting features to the game. The whole auditioning to get into a guild thing is really that game's bread and butter. They're never changing that. But they could improve the other two things.

But I haven't found a good mud that answers a post like this yet. Maiden Desmodus is supposed to have a fairly developed crafting system, but I never got into the game and can't personally speak to any of its pros/cons, and a lot of things are/were in flux over there. I don't know what's going on with the Frogdice people, but if they ever resurrect Primordiax, it has a fairly developed crafting system and a very abundant and obvious quest/task system. Dark and Shattered Lands has a crafting system, but I found it kind of time consuming and tedious, and its quest system is more of the traditional Diku questmaster type system.

A lot of people really like the Iron Realms games, which do have crafting-type skill trees and in-game quests, but there's the obvious "pay-for-perks" model, which most people really don't have a problem with, but those games take it to an extreme, where by max level, you can't even learn all of your character class's skills without buying into the system.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote