View Single Post
Old 05-31-2003, 06:12 PM   #30
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I've been wondering the same about you for a while.

Go back and read my posts. You stated that "the entire point of a mud is the multiplayer aspect, which relies on communication". I replied with "No, the multiplayer aspect relies on social interaction - there are numerous examples of successful multiplayer games which have very little actual direct communication between the players".

You asked for examples of such games, and Half-life can be such (when played in multiplayer mode). Some of the bots available for half-life can be "hard to tell apart" from players, except for the rare cases where they get stuck due to poor collision detection. But were you to create a mud based around a similar theme, that would not be an issue. Within such a mud, you could indeed have mobs which were hard to tell apart from players. I already gave a similar example scenario, but you seem to have ignored it - either way, you need to stop trying to force your view of "what a mud is" onto everyone else. There are many possible styles of mud, but no "true" way. Just because something doesn't work well with your approach doesn't mean that it might not work for someone else's.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote