View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Calling characters what you want

Do note:

Implementing either of these will require rewriting a whole lot of code. You can do the actual implementation--does x know y?--but you then have to go fix every single message that doesn't already use whatever the codebase you're using considers the default for name lookup. I'd say this isn't particularly difficult--either of them--but there's going to be lots and lots of broken messages that still force player names, probably, or that just look odd with the new non-introduced descriptions. Diku and such like to copy the name directly from the character struct (char_data, I think, but it's been a while). All of the ch->name have to be replaced with a function call, just as an example (I don't know what codebase. lpc may make this slightly easier).

The only truly hard thing is probably saving whom a player knows to the player savefile; typically, the saving code isn't the most pretty/straightforward, and in some codebases...well. The issue with this: doing it wrong breaks player savefiles.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote