View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 02:40 AM   #12
Maelgrim

Maelgrim is on a distinguished road
Whilst I agree a level of involvement in your character(s) makes for a much more rewarding gaming experience, there is a stage when the personal involvement becomes too intense.

This isn't a subject, I've found, that people really like talking in detail about. I've noticed, especially on non-permadeath muds, that the longer a player is attatched to a specific character, the harder it is for them to achieve a sense of professional distance from their creation.

For example. My last character had been in existence for a good 4 odd years. Now I'd always prided myself on being able to keep IC and OOC very seperate. This was before I began to have a string of incredibly 'bad luck'. (Of my own making, of course, even though the results weren't as intended.)

I found myself growing intensely frustrated, and Frequently snappish at other players OOC. The events which had lain my character low melded in my head into one massive cesspool of percieved injustice. Those players who I associated with IRL could probably testify to my indignant rantings every time another barb set itself in my character's flesh.

Eventually, It all got too much. I couldn't belive that I was getting so narky about a series of words on a screen. I made the descision to retire the character, and from day one of the new character, found my enjoyment of the game increased phenomenally.

I was one of the lucky ones. I've heard horror stories around the water cooler of players on various RPI muds who engage in rather contemptible behaviour OOC just to give their character a conflictual or sociopolitical 'edge' IC. Or players who cannot seem to grasp that just because my character is hostile/indifferent to them, that doesn't mean I as a player am out to nail their cat to a tree.

Personally, if that sounds like you, you REALLY need to get your administration to lock your account for a month or so and get some distance. Though they can evoke a whole cavalcade of emotions, when push comes to shove, games are supposed to be FUN! Not the reason you see your shrink five times a week!
Maelgrim is offline   Reply With Quote