View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
Pmotes, Smotes, Oh My!

Hey there,
A player has asked that we implement "pmotes and smotes" in our game. Now I understand they are just emotes with features, but would like opinions on what to include, avoid and even good implementation strategies.

First can anyone define pmote and define smote?

From what I gather pmote allows placement of the sources name anywhere in the striing. A check to make sure the name is included, and any sub-string filtering. Smote seems to be more a targeted emote, allowing placement of the source name and target name anywhere within the string.

I did code an emote (pmote) so far that allows placement of a character anywhere in the emote string and exchanges the character for the player's name or "you". Usage of words in the string that would require "s" or "es" to be removed (so far) to display correctly to the source is accomplished by placing the "s" or "es" in paranthesis. Seems kinda burdonsome and clunky. Thoughts? Ideas?

Now on targeted emotes (smotes, I think?) should I include items, and what seems the best way to allow switches in pronoun usage (he, she, it, herself, etc.)? Should a symbol+letter combination be used to allow for these pronoun changes?

And lastly, would it be best to combine all of these into a single emote command or keep them seperate?

Any thoughts, comments or even links to your games where I can see these commands, and various features surrounding them, in action would be appreciated.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote