View Single Post
Old 06-08-2003, 01:03 PM   #171

Perhaps it's time we stop referring to them (the Diku group) as dirt poor helpless college students and instead assume they are in all likelyhood successful college graduates making a decent living.

The Tolkein estate apparently doesn't go after IP violators when it's not in their financial interest to do so.  That is perceived to be toleration by many, perhaps rightly so.  It's apparently not in their financial interest to do so.  The Tolkein estate has a much bigger problem as they'd have to start hundreds maybe thousands of such suits.  The Diku Group has a extraordinarily small number of copyright infringers.  I think my sympathies have shifted especially in regard to recent events; offers made to fund such a suit (not the first time BTW).

For me I guess it's like informing a neighbor that you've witnessed persons breaking into their house and taking their stuff, and that neighbor responds by ignoring your information and/or saying it's not worth their time.

So in regards to the Diku IP...

I believe it's reasonable to assume they tolerate it (despite claims to the contrary).
So I'm OK with it since the Diku people are OK with it.

Now before you flame me.  Don't think I endorse or encourage IP theft, nor that I wouldn't go after you if it was my stuff.  

The point is that I personally no longer care about people infringing on the Diku property.  I'll still continue to be a "Good Samaratin" though and drop you a line concerning your own property if God forfend you are stolen from but that'll be the end of it.