Thread: SF Game Concept
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2002, 08:00 PM   #1
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
Hail!

I have been working on a number of potential new game ideas, and one has begun to stand out from the pack. It would be a Science Fiction game, set in oh 2100 or so, the codebase is both undecided and unimportant right now.

In thinking about starting another new game I have gone to the very beginning. What a player does to become a character in a World, and how that all starts, has been a major concern. Since all my games are focused on RP, getting people up to speed in the game is important.

Getting a player informed enough to interact with other characters is no easy task. Who wants to sit for a couple days of briefings to really learn it all? And let's face it, if you really wanted to understand a new game, a whole world that supposedly you 'grew up on' that is how long it would take.

My concept involves Colonization, a new Planet is opened with no human population, and characters can build things on it's surface. At first the Planet will be deadly, and require a lot of combat to even begin to carve out a settlement. Times will be hard at first but the possibilites are as wide as the player's imaginations.

Part of the concept is to allow players to get into character over a short amount of time. The game would have 5 basic settings: SpaceStation, Galaxy Queen, Shuttle, Moon & Planet. These are just working titles not final names.

SpaceStation: Start point, high tech, easy life.
Galaxy Queen: usually in Space, takes 2 weeks to go to the Planet.
Shuttle: 3 days between Station and Moon, the fast way.
Moon: primative, slightly dangerous, small base
Planet: Colonies, everything built by characters.

The level of available Tech goes down as you move down this list. At first players would be in a Tech wonderland, teleporters, food service machines, perhaps based on some alien technology. When you get to the Planet's Moon you enter a place that is very quickly made, mostly a temp stop on the way to the Planet, a 'safe' place to retreat from the constant dangers of the Planet.

On Planet characters will have to build what they need, harvest materials for these efforts, and deal with the dangerous creatures and even the environment itself.

So the Players will move slowly towards the danger, they would start in a place where they do not have to work to survive. If they want passage on the Queen that will cost, and to get the money they will have to do something to earn it. On the Queen things also cost a bit, so if you want to travel in style you will be able to do so. A shuttle is cheaper and faster, but tiny and you do not get a chance to interact with anyone beyond the occasional shipmate.

When you reach the Moon, you will have to learn some safety proceedures. On the Moon they will have a very good idea of how dangerous the Planet really is and will try to make sure you are really prepared for planetfall.

The different areas of play do more than slowly get a player into the game, they are also places where some people will just decide to stay. Perhaps you like politics, and would rather stay on the Station and get involved in elections and other intrigue. Some people will choose to live on the Queen, perhaps by running some sort of business. And I actually have some ideas for the Moon base that should make it a bit of a challenging environment, and all with few if any creatures. The airless void is the enemy and it can threaten in all sorts of ways.

This is for RP people, so I do not need to hear 'nobody will sit for 3 days'. If they do not want to deal with that they will not be playing. People who apprecaite a sense of immersion will understand and the game would be targeted at them with no pretense or illusion of being all-inclusive.

So what I would like to know is:

1) Does this make any sense to you?
2) Does the idea of steps of involvement seem like a good idea?
3) Do the different styles of places sound appealing?
4) Do you have any thoughts that might improve on the concept?

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote