View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 02:42 AM   #16
karlan

karlan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Possibly lost a bit of focus here, in Super mario anything, the character is able to throw fireballs because that is a perfectly valid action that Nintendo have added in the context of the world Nintendo created, the fireballs are within the scope of the story,...

... but if I went and made a Super Mario MU* claiming it was based on Nintendo's World, and threw in a F******* blue hedgehog, and a Numemorean (sp?) Ranger who wielded a 40W Phase pulse rifle (think terminator), then it would be safe to say I am well outside the scope of the world I am claiming to be based upon. Forgotten Realms and related TSR stuff are easier to allow for unique races and such, because they are inside the scope.

When a MU* is claimed to be based on a litterary work, with a well defined world (Some people claim this is one of the problems with RJ's Wheel of Time, he devotes a lot of time to minutae of the world), and then step outside that scope is what was giving me the irrates.

If in the earlier mario example you instead claimed it was a sonic, super mario bros, terminator hybrid, it would be more acceptable, lame, but at least you are stating that you've taken a story and butchered it.
karlan is offline   Reply With Quote