View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 03:29 PM   #1
tresspassor

tresspassor is on a distinguished road
Awhile ago I was experimenting with building a dynamic weather system. Rather then building a complete weather system in game I tried to go the route of using real-world weather.

So I mapped each city in the game to a specific city that would reflect its weather (a tropical city would receive Key West weather, while a northern city would use Fargo).

Hourly I would query a specific web-site and try and parse out the current weather. I would get results like this:

{
"|1600",
"|E",
"|12",
"|10",
"|43",
"|39",
"|87",
"|Broken Clouds, Rain",
"|EIDW 071600Z 07010KT 9999
-SHRA SCT020 BKN035 06/04 Q1029"
}

And then use those results to determine the weather that was affecting that city.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to go this route? Or has gone farther with it (using doppler or other information to build weather patterns). Or even using real world events in game such as hurricanes, earthquakes etc?

Also, to continue this. What sorts of online information have you used for in-game results? Has anyone tried making a stock market using real-time data? Or news events, etc?

I'd be interested to hear what sorts of online information people have used for what results.
tresspassor is offline   Reply With Quote