View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Roleplay: Up for Reward?

I think that's somewhat erroneous. It's missing a connecting thought. You say "It's not a good mud in their eyes if they have to kill stuff and can't just chat in character all day."

I don't think that's the criteria, exactly. It's more like "It's not fun for them, if killing stuff -without- including roleplay and mixing emotes/says/poses/socials in with the coded combat, is the usual expected behavior in that mud.

So, yeah this mud has coded combat. I like the idea of improving my coded combat skills. But I don't want to have to stand there typing "kill bat" over and over and over again, while 3 of my VBFFs are typing "kill bat" over and over and over again, just because trying to actually INTERACT with each other could result in the death of one of our characters. I mean yeah if there's an ambush and there's a whole gang of bats, sure I can understand there's no room for fancy emoting.

But when a couple of folks are just going out to grab a few hides so their armorsmith pals can make them a new set of greaves, it'd be nice to have some interaction during the hunt.

It's also strange, to me, to have to hunt, as the focus of the game. Why is my character hunting? What does he need with a bunch of dead bats anyway? So I can up my sword skill? Really? Does that goal make any kind of sense, ICly? Do you know anyone who goes hunting, in real life, just so they can get better at swords? Or do people go hunting so they can put a trophy on their wall? Or have something to eat. Or make a pair of shoes to wear or sell...or bring to a taxidermist to stuff and put in a museum..

That, I believe, is the "problem" that RPers have with the whole going out to hunt routine. It really depends on the mud, but the more detail-oriented RPers will want to have a believeable motivation for their characters to do whatever activities they do. It doesn't have to be realistic, but it does have to make some kind of sense.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote