View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #20
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 4 Dimensions is moving on

This almost happened to our game too. We got served 24 hours notice the server was done with mud hosting. We thought we had backups done via rsync to a server in australia, but when we asked the guy for them, it turned out it stopped working months ago and he hadn't said a thing. The rest of our backups were on the server that was shutting down. What can you do really, download it to your own computer? Well, we had a last minute rush to download the entire mud and get it up someplace else. Wasn't even much time to shop around for a new place. Service at wolfpaw has been wonderful, but there's always the worry that he'll someday decide to pull the plug, after you've been through something like that. Oh well, good luck with the new place. Suggest you tell your builders to copy EVERYTHING they do into notepad. Thats what I do. When work is lost its kind of their fault, because I will have said that til I'm blue in the face - never take the mud's existence for granted when it comes to storing something of value. Its been a lot more effective for me than trying to maintain some state-of-the-art backup system (i.e. the rsync thing). Pfiles is the only thing we really need to backup regularly "just in case".

Last edited by Davairus : 12-19-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote