View Single Post
Old 05-02-2002, 12:19 AM   #2
Sidmouth

Sidmouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sidmouth
I played a mud based a lot like this not too long ago.

Gateways were scattered around the areas (always in preset positions unfortunately) and each gateway was labelled with the type of monster it generated.  So you might see a 'Blood Skeleton Hellgate' for instance.  For extra spice, four grades of each monster could come out, from particularly easy to quite hard.  At the top of the spectrum were 'unique' monsters, who had names and were impossibly difficult.

One of the weaknesses of this mud was that players were unable to destroy these gates.  I think when I saw they were a feature of the mud I had something very much like gauntlet in mind, so it seemed to me like destroying the generators should not only be possible but necesarry and not terribly hard.

Along those same lines, I would have liked the generators to, well, generate more.  Monsters trickled out of the things, which made it feel not much different from traditional repops.  Thinking of gauntlet again, I was expecting relatively easy monsters to pour out.  You would be confronted with great numbers but the monster themselves would be quite easy.  Naturally it would take some balancing to make such a thing difficult (wouldn't want stock rom monsters who miss anything 10 levels higher than them).  If one is going to do the generators at all though, I think this is a crucial point.  If a player can't experience the flow of monsters and see them popping out at the gate, it is really little better than a repop.

I like the idea that they spread too... perhaps the player run city pays hunters quite well to roam outside the city and control nearby populations.  If not enough hunters can be found or they don't properly execute their job, direct defense of the city might become a necessity.
Sidmouth is offline   Reply With Quote