Thread: Stock Areas
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2002, 05:22 PM   #9
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
We don't use any stock areas at all in our mud, we took them all out right from the start, except for Midgard, which is needed by the code, so I had to rebuild that completey, using the old vnums. It's better to dispose of them right away, otherwise, as Illuvatar already pointed out, they get too integrated with your world and are hard to get rid of afterwards.

However, I object to the statement that the stock areas are poorly written. I took a good look at some of them before we removed them, and in fact most of them are a lot better than many so called 'original zones' on many muds with untalented and/or sloppy builders. Many of the stock zones, for instance Midgard and Haon-dor, are really well put together, with extra descs and all, which you rarely see in most new zones.

And since the people who built them very generously offered them to the public, I think it's rather ungrateful and bad form to call them badly written, just because they appear on too many muds. After all, that's not the fault of the original Builders.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote