View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #53
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
What MUD has this happened on?

That's how I read the following statement from the_logos, posted earlier on this thread.  Kimberly purchased credits, used them for 'lessons', and lost lessons (or the skills purchased with lessons, or some other downstream effect of the original purchase) because, in the opinion of her guild, she was not acting appropriately as a member of that guild.

Nobody -ever- takes credits away from a player unless it is a result of credit card fraud, and players, or even normal Gods, cannot take them away. On Achaea, only 4 of us (all paid, full-time employees) can do so. What Kimberly lost was lessons. You can spend credits on lessons, and also get lessons by rising in level through questing, hunting, etc. You can get credits by buying them from us or getting them as rewards or buying them from other players, in-game. You use lessons, incidentally, to raise skills.

Once you've spent credits, as the disclaimer says, the value of what you've spent them on may increase or decrease as a result of your actions or the actions of other players. Kimberly was unable to accept this, apparently feeling that anything another player did to her as part of the game system was, in fact, "us" (the administration) doing it to her.

As I'm pointing out, that's all legal, because Kimberly apparently signed a EULA to the effect that she understood this at the point of purchase.  Achaea refunded the money in this event, but they were not legally required to do so.  My impression is that it was done as a courtesy, or at the very least in the name of efficiency, as in "It is not worth our time/effort/aggravation to dispute this amount of money.  Please take it back and leave quietly."  Either way, it's professional customer service.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote