View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
js_wilson

Name: Sean
Home MUD: Aardwolf
js_wilson is on a distinguished road
Re: Codebase with Crafting

Yeah, I could potentially write a crafting system with a little help from my friends, I just wanted to see if they're other options first, because I didn't wan't to have to reinvent the wheel if something already exists that I can use and possible modify a bit. The whole "not reinventing the wheel" thing is what attracted me to coffeemud to begin with, because, like you said, a lot of work was already done for me, and it has a lot of easy customization options as far as changing races, classes, skills, spells ect.

I am really more of a builder than a coder. I am pretty good with mobprogs and such, but My coding experience is limited to a few basic C# scripts I made or modified for my private Ultima Online shard, and a couple simple games I wrote in python, and I had help with both of these.

I understand that one should be more of a coder if I am going to attempt to run a MUD, but this is really just something I am doing for fun for myself and a few friends from my old D&D group. I am not trying to impress anyone with my coding skills, and I am not trying to be "the next great MUD". I just want something I can run without to much of a hassle, and has cool features I can use to focus on my building skills and create a fun and creative world with cool quests and well designed areas.

So anyway, thanks for the advice. I didn't really want to have to change hosts, even though I have found good options like the ones you have mentioned, but at this point, that's looking like it will be my best option. I just wished I hadn't been stupid and paid for my host 3 months in advance before I realized it can't run coffeemud. Stupidity should be painful
js_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote