Thread: Sex & Violence
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #49
Muirdach

Home MUD: Karinth
Muirdach is on a distinguished road
Re: Sex & Violence

That's an interesting point - are we trying to change/influence the internal thought process, or just the manifestations of it? Do we want to "program" a child to never think a violent thought ever, or teach them to restrain violent thoughts and actions when it's inappropriate? Calvin (I like Calvin and Hobbes quotes, ok?) said it well - Do you actually have to BE good, or is it enough to merely ACT good? It's along the lines of whether you should avoid breaking the law just because you might get caught.

Personally I feel that it's only human to have private thoughts and actions that you would never want anyone else to see or know. That doesn't mean it's acceptable or "good" - it's only natural that other people would be angered/upset/disgusted by them and that's probably why you keep them to yourself. I'm sure all of us behave differently in some ways depending on the situation and who we're with. I feel that some thoughts are wrong and disgusting, but I don't think that they should be crushed with an iron fist and purged by the authorities. At the most, I'd stop talking to someone if I found out something about them that I didn't like.

If ever happened, it would get pretty worrisome.
Muirdach is offline   Reply With Quote