View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #84
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Join Dragonrealms today!

Thanks KaVir for the input. For me, well I started out on GemStone. It didn't have an "engagement system" where you could advance/retreat, but basically - the critter would auto-attack you, over and over again - and you had to type "att critter" over and over again with each shot. Or 'prep 702; cast critter' to bloodburst it (I played a sorc, heh). Sure, you could type macros, but the point is, it was up to the player to ensure that the text went from buffer to game, over and over again, making sure not to get interrupted by the game-imposed delay between hits. You could disengage, but the critter would continue wailing on you. You could flee, but the critter would chase you in most cases.

Then I played Inferno, which did have an engagement system. You'd engage, then advance to whichever range was appropriate for your attack style. If close-range, you'd have to advance a few times, or you and the critter would each be advancing til it was fighting time. But - if the critter was designed to fight only at close range, and you were using a polearm, you'd have to retreat when it was advancing. And you could only retreat so far, until the system said you were already up against the wall and can't retreat any further. A lot of the combat consisted of getting you to the right range. And THEN you could attack. And then, it was the same system as the GS system - you have to either type att critter over and over, or create and run a script to do it for you. The responsibility was client-side on your part, and the critter had a built-in script to do it automatically. Even more difficult and frustrating - if you were already as far away as the code allowed you to be, but it wasn't far away enough to flee or disengage, you were stuck in combat until the fight was over. You could only "retreat" so many times before the code said you couldn't retreat anymore, and you couldn't disengage until you were far enough away.

Then I played Armageddon, which is a diku-based system. It's automated. You type attack critter, and at that point, you are free to emote while your character automatically attempts to kill the critter. There are special attacks, such as kick, bash, disarm, etc. etc. - but if it's just close-range melee combat, you don't have to "do" anything, and that leaves you free to type in emotes, and wishes, and yell that you're hurt, or shout to your friend to help, or order your minion to stand down while you rescue him from doom, or whatever else.

At first, I hated it. I was way too used to being in full control of my character's every movement. But eventually, I realized, that it also meant that I was -required- to be in full control of my character's every movement. It was hard to ROLEPLAY through the combat, because if I took the time to say "Hey help please!" it was one more "att critter" that didn't happen - and that was one more "critter attacks me" that I didn't attempt to parry.

Trying to actually roleplay when you were in a challenging situation, was impossible. If I tried to interrupt the script with emotes, it would auto-shutoff the script. I could set up macros so I didn't have to type everything out, but it -still- meant that I had to take that time to hit the alt-K, which meant no time to also type "say Hey help me here".

In Armageddon, because the actual "att critter" part of it was automated, I was free to emote my brains out, and could create actual "scenes" with myself and the critter and whatever crew we were with. It seemed to flow better.

But - I know, because I had done it for years, that not everyone likes that system. And that's okay. Some people just really prefer the required control over their character's movements, and some people prefer to let the game code do all the mechanics work. And there are some folks (the MUSH crowd) who prefer not to have ANY mechanics in combat, and would rather emote it all out, in turn-based situations.

I've tried a few MUSHes too, but I just don't care for the long paragraphs of emotes. I like the faster paced scenes (although the Arm combat is still too fast for me, but I can work around it as long as there's just me and a critter and not a group).
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote