View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
silvarilon

silvarilon is on a distinguished road
Re: At a loss. Want to help?

Life/death/body upgrades. Can I grant myself claws, or the ability to see in the dark?

Can I back up my memories so, if I die, someone can purchase me a new body and upload my memories into that body.

If that is the case, who can get a new body when they die? Anyone? Only the rich? How does that change society? What is it like living in a slum, slaving away for 15 hours a day, when you can't ever retire or die? What's it like, being a soldier that is sent into the front-line against horrific enemies to die again and again and again - does that break their minds? Or do they just adapt and deal with it?

I want social distinction between humans, human-brains that are simulated, such as a human who uploads themselves into a robot body, and was-never-a-human AIs.

I want many of my skills to be "external" to my body. I might be able to learn kung-fu and hold my own in a fight, but I *also* want to be able to learn to hack into the building security systems and use the automated sentry guns to hold my own in a fight. Or to manipulate the utility fog to create a golem that fights on my behalf. Or to use my hacking skills to view a remote camera feed.

I want "intelligence" skills. If I can have a computer in my head, I could have skills that let me learn foreign languages in seconds, that tell me about a creature by checking a database, even if I've never seen that creature before. That remind me to flush the toilet if I forget. I want skills that tell me the social reputation, job, criminal record, and rank of someone when I meet them. I want skills to have superhuman mathematical abilities, and I want challenges that require superhuman mathematical abilities (such as repairing a nuclear reactor by manipulating plasma fields.)

If you haven't already, I strongly recommend you have a look at the tabletop RPG "Eclipse Phase"
You should also read "Accelerando" by Charles Stross.
silvarilon is offline   Reply With Quote