View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #14
Orion

Orion is on a distinguished road
Re: Why Do So Many Women Play Threshold RPG?

Well, if the setting is that women are treated a certain way, I would expect the players to bear that in mind. So, I would expect obstacles for women wanting to reach such positions of power, if they are not typicallly roles that are easy for women to achieve. I guess all I was saying is that the staff should not prevent any kind of female activism from developing if the characters decide that is what they want to roleplay. Additionally, if male characters decided to oppress women, and tried to prevent such activism, then that's down to them, and I would not interfere. The game can start off with a specific setting, but the players have to be able to affect things as the game progresses, and if that means women become more (or even less) respected as equal citizens, then I think that should be down to the players and their roleplay.

At the beginning of a game, every game already needs to have a setting that is dictated by the staff. If the game starts with them saying women are oppressed, then women should roleplay being oppressed and not take roles typically taken by men. I would expect them to roleplay earning such roles, if they wanted to, until opinion is swayed enough in game that new female characters can apply for such roles in character creation.

As for your hypothetical situation, I would laugh. No, not really. I think if the player has read the setting helpfiles, and knows that this kind of roleplay is likely in the game, then she has no grounds to complain.

Last edited by Orion : 10-11-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote