View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #12
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Is it Impolite Not to Share?

I can't say that I believe this is a matter of politeness or not unless it's viewed in the context of the game you are playing. In some games, having OOC information/plans is a competitive ADVANTAGE over players who do not operate OOC. No one should be forced to give up their character's plans, especially not for the sake of politeness.

Information is knowledge, and knowledge is power. This is true for all games, and moreso for RPI, RPE, and ICE games.

Even in a MUSH, OOC knowledge of another character's plan of events can give you an advantage of either impeding their progress or aiding it depending on what you wish the outcome of the events to be.

Anyway, in MOST situations, I think that there's no need to give other people the information, but on a coded MUD-style game, I do think that operating just via emotes would be bad form in a global event. For example, if you're at a party with the king and emote

-> Bubasox steals the King's crown

when you actually have commands to steal something from another player or the King isn't WEARING a crown, then I would believe you were a bit of a party pooper trying to crash an event. In this case, I think you would approach the admins and say, "This is what my character wants to do. Can I do it?" The admin would then provide a coded crown, and you would try to steal it using your thiefly commands. What happens after that is a matter of RP. No player has the right to demand to know what your thiefly character may be up to, but it would be best to discuss the event with the admins rather than pulling out an emote and expecting everyone to go with it. Obviously, in this case, the admin could just emote back and insta-kill your character, which you wouldn't want to happen anyway.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote