Thread: Hive AI
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2002, 01:58 PM   #3
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
Of course, what I meant by self-sufficient was that it was relying upon it's own methods to grow and expand rather then on the shall we say intervention (IE Dropping a 'Settlement here item, or whatever...). This would be the point at which the AI would take over.

This was truly the heart of the question: at what point do we have to show the players the simulation? What are the evident signs of the ai algorithm?

You obviously need the settlement. The houses, the shops, the roads, and the defenses showing. These are then part of the landscape of the settlement. But do you need peons? Do you need a mob that carries a hammer and builds? Or do you need a mobile in the fields harvesting? Of course these things add flavor, and they make for a more interesting setting but are they needed? Probably not. They can be implied.

I'm going to assume that we do generate the mobiles/npcs and run down another thought...

1) Do the NPCs report back to the Hive AI and let it know what is going on? NPC: MsgToHive-Harvested 12 Grain- Hive: MsgToNPC- go sleep-

2) or do we just let the hive do all the mathmatics, HIVE: I'm physically representing 10 Harvest NPC's they are 1/10 of the population, each harvest 12 grains a mud day, I now have 1200 grains. Increase population.
Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote