View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: FYI Mudconnector forums shut down

I didn't participate, religion and politics are two subjects I generally consider pointless to argue on a mud forum. But I kept an eye on the discussion. In summary:

A "Jesus died for us all" banner appeared in rotation. Drizzt queried why it was there (the implication being that someone had slipped it in, in violation of TMC rules). Icculus responded that it was his banner, and that he felt it was an important message people should see. Some posters supported his right to host the banner, others felt TMC wasn't the appropriate place for it.

A couple of the usual trolls then started insulting non-Christians, one of them because he always plays devil's advocate against certain posters, the other because he apparently has very strong religion views. He stated his belief that the world is 5000 years old, that people used to live alongside dinosaurs, etc, and said some very unflattering things about homosexuals that I won't repeat here. He was both very offensive towards others, and very defensive of his own beliefs.

Suffice to say things went downhill from there, particularly when another troll created an account specifically to provoke a few posters he disliked (he later bragged about managing to get several of them banned - I guess he'd been waiting a long time for the chance to pay them back).

Icculus deleted the thread, then restored it. Then TMC went down, then it came back without forums. Then the forums returned, but read-only. Apparently some people were very critical of the way he handled the situation, and now he's decided to leave the community and pass control of TMC to someone else.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote