View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Fifi

Fifi is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you enjoy about RP?

If you aren't playing muds because the flavor of the rp on muds holds no appeal or because none of the muds available look interesting to you, then you're not missing anything, and you should go ahead and feel free to skip to the next post.

But if you've ever thought, 'Wow, that looks like something I might enjoy, oh wait, stupid combat code, ugh! Never mind.' Then I'd like to have a chance to persuade you to give muds a try.

I have only really played (though I've tried many and never made it out of newbie school because ugh, stupid code and ugh never mind!) a handful of muds seriously. But I've played the hell out of them, and while I was intimidated by the code I've gotten past that. I personally play Armageddon. If you love RP then I very much recommend it. And if I can convince you to try muds and Arm doesn't do it for you, check out Atonement when Beta starts or try SoI. (As an Arm player I feel compelled to mention that Arm is in fact the best RP experience on the internet, there is scientific data that backs this claim. I can send you the results of the clinical trials. Sorry, where was I? Oh yeah, code. Anyway, I hear you about the code intimidation factor.

Don't let this be the thing that stops you. Every RPI has helpers. If they don't have official helpers, guides or mentors listed somewhere then go on the forums and ask someone to be one. The Non-RPI's have that help available in game on ooc channels or people that run to greet you and help. They'll walk you through the aspects of code that are intimidating you. NW recently pointed out that I never recommend non-RPI muds. But I bet Newworlds has helpers who will help you. So, if an RPI isn't your thing, maybe try there.

Personally, I unlike much of the mudding community am not a geek. I wish I were. I'm not. Many geeks have the advantage of a learning style that lends itself best to text. My eyes glaze over. I can read the same thing over and over and never absorb it. So, when people say READ THE DOCs, I'm sunk. A helper will translate text to dialog for easier absorption. And from there the code becomes more accessible. If the helper helping you you isn't helping, just find another with a different communication style.

Anyway, if you're happy with MUCKs or if MUDs suck eggs, or if the idea of playing one gives you a headache and induces vomiting, never mind. But if the only thing holding you back is learning syntax, then don't be afraid. We're waiting on the dark side to ease you in on the shallow end, cause the water is fine.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote