View Single Post
Old 09-04-2002, 10:28 PM   #1
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
My experience with online text games is mostly Gemstone III and Inferno. One is a RP-optional medieval-based fantasy game, the other is an RP-required high fantasy game. I've been playing Armageddon, and love the hard-core roleplaying, but I'm not fond of the post-apocalyptic genre. Plus their room descriptions are really bad - if there's a street with 5 rooms in it, every single room has the exact same description, and there are very VERY few objects within the rooms you can intert with. For instance - if my character's learning to be a burglar, then it's probably a good idea to try and steal something from an abandoned place first - just to get the hang of the skill. But if you go into an abandoned place and the description says there's a desk, a chair, and a mural on the wall, you can't search the desk - because it doesn't exist.

Inferno was great, but I had a fall-out with their admin. Gemstone was a wonderful starting point but once I learned how to roleplay I became somewhat of a snob and left due to lack of RP in their game.

So what I'm looking for now, is something with the hard-core RP of Armageddon, in more of a high fantasy setting, and with the complex and intricate mechanics and code of Inferno. But I also like the type of "emote" and "tell" types of commands that Armageddon had - completely dynamic where you could target not only certain people, but even individual things they were wearing. I think what Armageddon offers is fantastic, but their room descriptions and lack of objects to interact with really take a lot of the "realism" away for me. Plus I never EVER liked seeing "A door opens to the west" and you can "open door" but you can't "go door" - you have to go west. If I see a door, I wanna go through the door, dangit. Just like if there's a wall, I don't wanna just type UP. I wanna have to actually CLIMB the WALL. I also can't stand forced hunger and thirst. It makes absolutely no sense to suddenly realize you're hungry JUST as a High Noble is giving you a lecture...or in the middle of an invasion tell everyone to hold up while you take a sip of water.

Okay - so this is a very long post, and I honestly didn't mean to get into a whole thing about specific games I've played, but maybe it'll help in case someone out there has something like a hybrid of the mechanics and detailed descriptions and objects of Inferno, with the hard-core realistic roleplay of Armageddon.

Anyone?
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote